A tree, also known as Madroña, Arbutus menziesi of western North America, with glossy evergreen leaves, white flowers, and red-orange fruit.
Builder: John H. Dialogue, Camden, New Jersey
Beam: 27' 6"
Draft: 11' 6"
Displacement: 806 tons
Commissioned: 14 September 1885
Machinery: Compound inverted fore-and-aft surface-condensing steam engine; 2 coal-fired return-flue boilers; 700 BHP; single propeller.
Performance & Endurance:
Deck Gear: Wood hoist
Complement: 26 (1907)
The Madroño was built by John H. Dialogue in Camden, New Jersey. She was launched in 1884 and was commissioned on 14 September 1885. She was designed as an inspection tender for service on the west coast as a replacement for the tender Shubrick. She arrived in San Francisco, California, in January of 1886. She was the third tender to serve in the Pacific. During her career, she had two service launches assigned to her, the Hazel and Madroño.
She remained in service until 1927 when she was sold.
Douglas Peterson. United States Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000.