A former name retained.
Builder: Henry B. Nevins, Inc., City Island, New York
Beam: 20' 6"
Draft: 6' 6"
Displacement: 153 gross tons
Cost: $27,000 (acquisition); $11,605 (conversion)
Commissioned: 1926 (private); 8 July 1942 (USCG)
Decommissioned: 5 July 1945
Disposition: Returned to the War Shipping Administration
Machinery: 2 Standard diesel engines
Performance & Endurance:
Max: 10.0 knots
Cruising: 6.0 knots; 1,175 mile range
The Micawber was a wood-hulled yacht designed by Tams & King that was built in 1926. She was acquired by the Coast Guard as an emergency acquisition in 1942 for use as a patrol craft. She was commissioned on 8 July 1942 and saw service into 1943 in the GULFSEAFRON while being based out of San Juan, Puerto Rico. She was then transferred to the 7th Naval District and was stationed at Key West, Florida.
She was decommissioned on 5 July 1945 and returned to the War Shipping Administration on 18 February 1946.
Cutter History File. USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.
Robert Scheina. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1982.