The theory and practice of navigating, especially the charting of a course for a ship or aircraft.
The Navigation, originally launched in 1922 as a 212-ton, 135-foot yacht, was loaned to the Coast Guard from the Navy as an emergency acquisition. She had been purchased by the Bureau of Marine Inspection and Navigation from Arrow Line in 1935 and then loaned to the Navy. The Coast Guard used her as part of the Corsair Fleet.
She was decommissioned on 29 July 1944 and sold on 10 January 1946.
Cutter History File. USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.
Robert Scheina. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1982.