A former name retained.
The Nellwood, originally launched in 1929 as a 294-ton, 126-foot steel-hulled yacht, was purchased by the Coast Guard for $91,400 as an emergency acquisition. She was assigned to the 13th District from 1943 to 1944. From 1944 to 1945 she was assigned to SERVPAC in San Diego and used for training. She was converted to a fireboat in November 1944.
She was decommissioned on 15 November 1946 and was sold on 23 September 1947.
Cutter History File. USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.
Robert Scheina. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1982.