A poisonous evergreen shrub of the genus Nerium, found in warm climates, especially N. oleander, bearing fragrant white, purple, or rose flowers.
Builder: Iowa Iron Works, Dubuque, Iowa
Length: 188' 6"
Displacement: 548 tons
Commissioned: 23 January 1903
Decommissioned: 23 April 1928
Disposition: Transferred to War Department, 1928
Machinery: 2 Baldwin-Vulclain horizontal compound steam engine; 2 Hopkinds combined tubular and water-tube coal-fired boilers; IHP 600; stern paddle wheel.
Performance & Endurance:
Deck Gear: Steam powered
Complement: 29 (1907)
The first Oleander was a steam-powered, stern paddle wheel river tender with a steel hull and deck and wood upperworks. She was built by the Iowa Iron Works of Dubuque, Iowa, for use on the upper Mississippi River. She was commissioned on 23 January 1903. She was based out of St. Louis.
She was decommissioned on 23 April 1928 and was transferred to the War Department.
Cutter History File. USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.
Douglas Peterson. United States Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000.