The Petrel was named for the sea bird of the order Procellariiformes.
Builder: W. H. Hathorn, Williamsburg, New York
Displacement: 120 tons
Performance & Endurance:
Armament: 1 gun
The Petrel was one of two 120-ton 85-foot schooners built for the Service by W. H. Hathorn of Williamsburg, New York, the other being the Racer. They were among the last strictly sail-powered cutters built for the Service.
The Petrel was ordered to Apalachicola, Florida, for duty, on 4 June 1867. She was sold on 21 October 1873.
Donald Canney. U.S. Coast Guard and Revenue Cutters, 1790-1935. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1995.
U.S. Coast Guard. Record of Movements: Vessels of the United States Coast Guard: 1790 - December 31, 1933. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1934; 1989 (reprint).