Pharos is a small peninsula at Alexandria, Egypt upon which one of the seven wonders of the ancient world was built: the Pharos Lighthouse. The lighthouse at Pharos stood in front of Alexandria's harbor. The lighthouse was built of white marble in 270 B.C. for 800 silver talents for Ptolemy Soter. Its architect was Sostrates of Knidos. The lighthouse stood for about 1500 years until it succumbed to earthquakes in 1303 and 1326.
The 1872 Pharos was a small, two-masted 12-ton lugger that saw service as a freight boat in the 8th Lighthouse District. She entered service in 1872 and remained in service only until 1873 when her sale was authorized.
Douglas Peterson. United States Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000.