Sumac, 1903

Nov. 23, 2021

Sumac, 1903

Any of various shrubs or small trees of the genus Rhus, having compound leaves, clusters of small greenish flowers, and usually red, hairy fruit.  Some species, such as the poison ivy and poison oak, cause an acute itching rash on contact.

Builder: Burlee Dry Dock Company, Port Richmond, New York

Length: 168' 10"

Beam: 30'

Draft: 14' 11"

Displacement: 875 tons

Cost: $114,992.27

Commissioned: 21 June 1903

Decommissioned: July, 1937

Disposition: Sold

Machinery: 2 vertical inverted fore & aft compound steam engines; 2 Scotch-type coal-fired boilers, 700 IHP

Deck Gear: 

Performance & Endurance:


Complement: 24 (1907)

Armament: None

Tender History:

The Sumac was built as an inspection tender for use on the Great Lakes.  She was commissioned on 21 June 1903 and was assigned to the 9th Lighthouse District and was based out of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  She was transferred to the 12th Lighthouse District in 1925 where she was used as a bay and sound tender.  She was decommissioned in July, 1937 and sold.


Douglas Peterson.  United States Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000.