Builder: Consolidated Steel Corporation, Orange, Texas
Commissioned: 29 January 1943
Decommissioned: 8 April 1946
Disposition: Transferred to the Maritime Commission on 13 November 1947 for disposal.
Length: 158' 6" oa
Beam: 23' 3"
Draft: 2' 8" (forward), 5' 3" (aft -- beaching condition)
Displacement: 216 tons (light); 234 tons (beaching condition); 389 tons (full load)
Propulsion: 8 x GM diesels; twin shafts (4 diesels per shaft); 1,600 hp; twin variable-pitch propellers
Range: 4,000 @ 12 knots
Top Speed: 15.5 knots
Complement: 3 officers, 21 enlisted
Cargo capacity: 75 tons
Initial armament: 4 x 20mm (single-mount): 1 forward, 1 amidships, 2 aft; 2 x .50 caliber; 2" plastic splinter armor on gun shields, conning tower, and pilot house.
LT(jg) Harold A. Levin, USCGR
History: Flotilla 4 / 10 / 35
The Coast Guard-manned USS LCI(L)-86 was commissioned on 29 January 1943. Her commanding officer on 2 April 1944 was LT(jg) Harold A. Levin, USCGR. She was assigned to LCI(L) Flotilla 4. After undergoing shakedown and training exercises, she sailed across the Atlantic in company with the other LCI(L)s of the flotilla and participated in the North African occupation in Tunisia, from 1 June to 9 July 1943. She then landed troops during the invasion of Sicily on 9 July 1943 and the landings at Salerno on 9 September 1943.
She then sailed for England as part of the same flotilla, now renamed Flotilla 10, in preparation for the invasion of Normandy. The LCI(L)-86 was first reported to be at Falmouth on 14 April l944. She subsequently took part in the invasion of Normandy and landed troops at Omaha Beach on D-Day, 6 June 1944.
She departed the United Kingdom on 5 October 1944, arriving at Charleston, South Carolina, where she remained for overhaul and repair until 4 December 1944. She arrived at Little Creek, Virginia on December 7th. She underwent amphibious training at the Solomons Islands on December 10th to 13th and underwent repairs, alterations and loading, at Norfolk from the 15th until the 23rd. On the 23rd she departed for Pearl Harbor via Key West, the Canal Zone and San Diego where she arrived 13 April 1945. She departed Pearl Harbor for Okinawa on 20 April 1945 via Eniwetok, Guam and Ulithi arriving on 29 May 1945.
Here she was anchored at Hagushi Anchorage and Nakagusuku Wan, Okinawa to make smoke to provide coverage for the USS New Orleans (CA-32) and the USS West Virginia (BB-48), as well as to provide smoke coverage and anti-aircraft fire for merchant ships off White and Brown beaches. She opened fire on Japanese suicide planes on June 3rd and again on the 11th. Arriving at Kerama Rhetto anchorage on June 14th where she acted as smoker to cover ships present, making two trips to Hagushi and return. During June she made smoke 54 different tines and went to general quarters 52 times on air alerts. On two occasions she directed 20mm fire at Japanese soldiers on the beach with undetermined results. She continued to make smoke and perform her duties at Kerama Rhetto, in Buckner Bay and at Chimnu Wan, Okinawa during July 1945, going to general quarters 25 times on red alerts and making smoke 27 times to cover ships in the anchorages. During August she made smoke at Chimu Wan until the 12th carrying mail from Buckner Bay every fourth or fifth day. From the 12th to 31st she made smoke in Buckner Bay and carried liberty parties for the Fifth Fleet. She made smoke 21 times during August and went to general quarters on red alerts seven times. She continued operations at Buckner Bay through 7 September 1945.
Departing Buckner Bay on September 8th, as part of Task Group 52.6, designated the Wakayama Sweep Group, she proceeded to Wakayama, Japan, to destroy mines in Kii Suido cut by sweepers and to lay Dan buoys. She arrived on September 10th and was drydocked for repairs by her crew. Proceeding to Sasebo, Japan on 19 October 1945 she was assigned October 26th to destroy mines in "operation skagway" in Nansei Shote until 8 November 1945. She returned to Sasebo on that date and on the 25th proceeded to Guam where she arrived on 2 December 1945.
She departed Guam on 5 December 1945 for return to the United States. She reached Galveston, Texas, via Pearl Harbor, San Diego and the Canal Zone on 19 February, 1946. She was decommissioned on 8 April 1946 at Galveston, Texas.
The LCI(L)-86 earned six battle stars for her service in World War II. All LCI(L)s of Flotilla 10 were retroactively awarded the Coast Guard Unit Commendation for their service in the invasion of Normandy.
LCI(L) file, Coast Guard Historian's Office.
United States Coast Guard. The Coast Guard At War. V. Transports and Escorts. Vol. 2. Washington: Public Information Division, Historical Section, U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters, May 1, 1949, pp. 117-130.