USS Gualala (AOG-28)

Jan. 25, 2021 PRINT | E-MAIL

USS Gualala, AOG-28


Gualala: a river in California.


Builder: East Coast Shipyard, Bayonne, New Jersey

Length: 220' 6"

Beam: 37'

Draft: 17'

Displacement: 2,270 (fl)

Commissioned: 25 August 1944

Decommissioned: 29 March 1946

Disposition: Sold to Brazil.

Machinery: 720 hp diesel direct drive; single propeller

Top Speed: 10 knots

Complement: 62

Armament: 1 3"/50; 2 x 40mm; 3 x 20mm


HISTORY:

The USS Gualala (AOG-28) was a Wautauga-Class Navy gasoline tanker that was manned by a Coast Guard crew.  She was launched 3 June 1944, by the East Coast Ship Yard Inc., Bayonne, N.J., under a Maritime Commission contract; acquired by the Navy 19 August 1944; and commissioned 25 August 1944, Lt. Gerald T. Allworth, USCG, in command.

After completing trials, Gualala sailed from New York 23 October 1944; touching at Guantanamo and Christobal, she transited the Panama Canal 8 November, proceeding from there to Biak Island via Bora Bora and New Guinea. Arriving 13 January 1945, Gualala sailed the seas between Biak, Morotai, and Mios Woendi serving as a fueling ship for fleet units. Departing Mios Woendi 4 June, she touched at Morotai before reaching Balikpapan, Borneo, the 16th. Gualala continued her fueling duties throughout the Philippines and at Saipan until 26 December 1945. when she sailed for San Francisco via Pearl Harbor.

Arriving San Francisco 31 January 1946, Gualala remained there until decommissioning 29 March 1946, at the Kaiser Shipyard No. 2, Richmond, Calif. Her name was struck from the Navy List 1 May 1946, and she was transferred to the Maritime Commission 10 September 1946. The ship was subsequently sold to the Brazilian government, and renamed Rijo.

Gualala received one battle star for World War II service.


Sources:

Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.

Robert Scheina.  U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II.  Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1982.