USS Harveson (DE-316)
Edsall Class Destroyer Escort
Displacement: 1,253 tons standard; 1,102 tons full load
Length: 306’ oa
Draft: 10' 5' full load
Machinery: 2-shaft Fairbanks Morse diesels, 6,000 bhp
Range: 10,800 nm at 12 knots
Top Speed: 21 knots
Armament: 3-3”/50; 2-40mm; 8-20mm; 3-21" torpedo tubes; 2 depth charge tracks; 8 depth charge projectors; 1 hedge hog.
USS HARVESON (DE-316) was laid down by Consolidated Steel Corp., Orange, Tex., 9 March 1943; launched 22 May 1943; sponsored by Mrs. T. L. Herlong, mother; and commissioned at Orange, 12 October 1943, Lt. Comdr. P. L. Stinson, USCG, in command. Manned entirely by a Coast Guard crew, HARVESON completed shakedown out of Bermuda only to be seriously damaged in collision with a merchantman 15 December 1943, on a foggy night off the Virginia Capes. Repairs were completed at Portsmouth, Va., by February 1944, and the destroyer-escort joined Escort Division 22. Departing New York 1 March, HARVESON escorted a convoy to Londonderry, Ireland, via Halifax. In the next 14 months she escorted nine more convoys carrying vitally needed supplies for the European theater safely across the dangerous North Atlantic. When V-E Day came, CortDiv 22 was ordered to the Pacific; and HARVESON reached Pearl Harbor via the Panama Canal and San Diego 11 July to begin refresher training. HARVESON was still engaged in tactical training at Pearl Harbor when Japan capitulated, but soon she participated in the occupation of the defeated enemy's homeland. Departing Pearl Harbor 3 September, she escorted a convoy of LSTs to Japan, where she arrived Sasebo 24 September. During the next few weeks, she operated along the coast of Honshu, escorting amphibious force flagship MOUNT McKINLEY (AGC-7) and supporting occupation landings at Wakayama, Hiro, and Nagoya. She departed Yokohama for the United States 4 November and arrived Jacksonville, Fla., in December for duty with the Atlantic Fleet. She decommissioned at Green Cove Springs, Fla., 9 May 1947, and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. HARVESON was towed to the Mare Island Navy Yard in 1950 for conversion to a radar picket ship. She recommissioned at Vallejo, Calif., 12 February 1951, Lt. Comdr. W. S. Slocum III in command; and, as the first of a new class of radar picket ships, she was redesignated DER-316. After intensive tests and vigorous tactical training, HARVESON joined Escort Squadron 10 at Newport, R.I., 30 May to begin duty as a radar picket ship. While on patrol, the former destroyer escort outfitted with the most modern radar and early detection warning devices, cruised off the coast of the United States to provide adequate early warning of any enemy attack. From her usual station in the North Atlantic, HARVESON also sailed to the Caribbean for frequent antisubmarine and tactical exercises. Departing Newport 15 July 1957, HARVESON reported for radar picket duty at Pearl Harbor 18 August. There she joined the Barrier Forces, Pacific Fleet, to strengthen America's warning system in the vast and lonely reaches of the Pacific. After almost 3 years of barrier patrols out of Hawaii, HARVESON steamed to San Francisco for inactivation. She decommissioned 30 June 1960 and joined the Pacific Reserve Fleet, Stockton, Calif. Her name was struck from the Navy List 1 December 1966.
HARVESON was sunk as a target off southern California on 10 October 1967.
From the “Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships,” (1968) Vol. 3, pp. 265-266.