USS Ochlockonee, AOG-33
A river that flows through Georgia and Florida.
Builder: East Coast Shipyard, Bayonne, New Jersey
Length: 220' 6"
Displacement: 2,270 (fl)
Commissioned: 29 December 1944
Decommissioned: 14 January 1946
Machinery: 720 hp diesel direct drive; single propeller
Top Speed: 10 knots
Armament: 1 3"/50; 2 x 40mm; 3 x 20mm
The USS Ochlockonee was a Mettawee-Class gasoline tanker. She was formerly MC Hull 1530, and was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract 18 October 1944 by East Coast Shipyard, Inc., Bayonne, New Jersey; launched 19 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Albert Robinette; acquired by the Navy 18 December 1944; and commissioned 29 December, Lt. Arthur W. Walker, USCG, in command.
Following shakedown in the Chesapeake Bay, Ochlockonee departed Norfolk 15 February 1945 for Hawaii via Aruba, the Panama Canal, and San Diego, arriving 14 April. Operating out of Pearl Harbor for the remainder of the war, Ochlockonee made fueling runs among the Hawaiians and to Johnston and Canton Islands.
She decommissioned at San Pedro, Calif., 14 January 1946, and was struck from the Navy List 7 February. Returned to the Maritime Administration on 21 June, she subsequently entered merchant service and is presently named Texaco No. 10.
Cutter Files, Coast Guard Historian's Office
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.