USS Annapolis, PF-15
Annapolis is the capital of Maryland and the site of the United States Naval Academy.
Builder: American Shipping Company, Lorain, OH
Length: 303' 11"
Beam: 37' 6"
Draft: 12' 8" fl
Displacement: 2,230 tons
Propulsion: 2-shaft VTE, 3 boilers
Range: 9,500 nm at 12 knots
Top speed: 20 knots
Armament: 3 x 3"/50; 4 x 40mm (2x2); 9 x 20mm; 1 x Hedgehog, 8 x depth charge projectors; 2 x depth charge racks.
The second warship named Annapolis (PF-15) was launched 16 October 1943 by American Shipbuilding Co., Lorain, Ohio and was sponsored by Mrs. Belva Grace McCready. She was commissioned 4 December 1944 with CDR M. F. Garcia, USCG, in command.
Between 17 February and 2 June 1945 the Coast Guard-manned Annapolis made two convoy runs to Oran, Algeria. Following further training exercises in the Caribbean during June and July 1945, she reported to the Pacific Fleet on 5 August. In September she made a voyage to Alaskan waters and for the remainder of the year operated in California waters. Between 23 January and 6 April 1946 she served two tours on plane guard and weather duty in the North Pacific.
Annapolis was decommissioned at Seattle 29 May 1946 and sold to Mexico, through the Foreign Liquidation Commission, on 24 November 1947.
The Coast Guard At War, Transports and Escorts, Vol. V, No. 1, p. 142.
Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships, 1922-1946. London: Conway Maritime Press, 1992, pp. 148-149.
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. 1, p. 47.