USS Corpus Christi, PF-44
A city in Texas.
Builder: Consolidated Steel Corp., Wilmington, CA
Length: 303' 11"
Beam: 37' 6"
Draft: 12' 8" fl
Displacement: 2,230 tons
Propulsion: 2-shaft VTE, 3 boilers
Range: 9,500 nm at 12 knots
Top speed: 20 knots
Armament: 3 x 3"/50; 4 x 40mm (2x2); 9 x 20mm; 1 x Hedgehog, 8 x depth charge projectors; 2 x depth charge racks. For those frigates fitted out for weather patrol duty, the after 3-inch gun was removed and a weather balloon hanger was added aft.
Corpus Christi (PF - 44) was launched 17 August 1943 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Wilmington, CA. She was sponsored by Mrs. C. Driscoll and was commissioned 29 January 1944 at San Pedro, CA. Commander W. W. Childress, USCG, was given command. She reported to the Pacific Fleet.
Corpus Christi cleared San Pedro 31 May 1944 for Noumea, Cairns, and Perth, Australia, arriving 18 July. Here she had duty aiding submarines in exercises and training under Commander, Submarines, 7th Fleet. Corpus Christi was twice commended for unusual accomplishments while under this command, first for locating and rescuing 92 survivors of the torpedoed SS Peter Silvester in the Indian Ocean 13 February 1945 after an extended search by all available ships of the United States and Australian Navies, and second, for refueling the British battleship HMS Howe at sea between 13 and 15 June.
Corpus Christi stood out of Perth 27 August 1945 for Manus, Pearl Harbor, and San Pedro, arriving 3 October. Here she was converted into a weather ship at Terminal Island. Corpus Christi was on loan to the Coast Guard from 15 April to 5 July 1946. She was decommissioned 2 August 1946 in Seattle, WA, and was sold 3 October 1947.
"USS Corpus Christi."; no date, probably 1945; Photo No. NH 74296; photographer unknown. Naval Historical Center Photograph, released.
The Coast Guard At War, Transports and Escorts, Vol. V, No. 1.
Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships, 1922-1946. London: Conway Maritime Press, 1992, pp. 148-149.
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. II, p. 190.