USS Davenport, PF-69
Builder: Leathem D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin.
Length: 303' 11"
Beam: 37' 6"
Draft: 12' 8" fl
Displacement: 2,230 tons
Propulsion: 2-shaft VTE, 3 boilers
Range: 9,500 nm at 12 knots
Top speed: 20 knots
Armament: 3 x 3"/50; 4 x 40mm (2x2); 9 x 20mm; 1 x Hedgehog, 8 x depth charge projectors; 2 x depth charge racks. For those frigates fitted out for weather patrol duty, the after 3-inch gun was removed and a weather balloon hanger was added aft.
Davenport (PF-69) was launched 8 December 1943 by Leathem D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, under a Maritime Commission contract. The frigate was sponsored by Mrs. E. Frick and transferred to the Navy 1 June 1944 and placed in service the same day. She was then placed out of service for additional work a week later and was commissioned in full 15 February 1945 under the command of CDR H. F. Stolfi, USCG.
Departing Norfolk 17 April 1945 Davenport joined Pert (PG 95) and Action (PG-86) for an antisubmarine patrol off Casco Bay. She returned to New York 24 April and 3 days later got underway to escort a convoy to Mers-el-Kebir, Algeria, returning to Norfolk 7 June. Two days later she entered the Navy Yard at Charleston for conversion to a weather ship.
Davenport stood out from Charleston 26 June 1945 and on 1 July took station off Argentia, Newfoundland to report meteorological data. She remained on this duty until 21 October, serving on Weather Stations 2, 4, and 5. Additionally, from the period 6 to 21 August she towed SC-705 to Reykjavik, Iceland.
After her last tour on Weather Station 4, the Davenport was ordered to Boston on availability. The frigate had encountered some very rough weather on her last patrol and was in need of extensive repairs. It was estimated that at least two and a half months would be required to return her to normal operation. In lieu of repairs, therefore, she was ordered to report to Commandant, First Naval District, for disposition. Arriving at Boston Navy Yard 25 October, Davenport remained there until decommissioned 4 February 1946. She was sold 6 June 1946.
The Coast Guard At War, Transports and Escorts, Vol. V, No. 1.
Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships, 1922-1946. London: Conway Maritime Press, 1992, pp. 148-149.
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.