Rear Admiral Lorenzo Chase Farwell, United States Coast Guard (Retired), was born in Boston, Mass., on June 5, 1878, the son of Frank F. and Ella Chase Farwell. He attended Mechanics Art High School in Boston, and was graduated in October, 1897, from the Massachusetts Nautical Training School, Boston, where he took a two year course in marine and electrical engineering. From January, 1898, to September, 1901, he was on vessels of various commercial lines, and in August, 1901, was raised to the grade of First Assistant Engineer of ocean steamers and unlimited tonnage. He attended Bliss Electrical school in the class of 1902. Appointed a cadet engineer in the U.S. Coast Guard on May 31, 1902, he received a commission as an ensign (E) on June 10 of the same year.
His first assignment was the Grant, from which he was detached in July, 1903, for duty on the Perry. From March to November, 1904, he served on the Arcata, and then was assigned to the Rush. In September, 1905, he served temporarily on the Grant and then returned to duty on the Perry until April, 1907. While assigned to the Perry he served temporarily on the McCulloch in December of 1905, and on the Thetis from May to December of 1906. From April, 1907, to May, 1908, he was attached to the cutter Seminole. During this time he served temporary duty on the Itasca in July and the Apache in October of 1907.
Upon detachment from the Seminole he was assigned to the Itasca, from which he was transferred in October of 1908, to the Forward. In July, 1911, he assumed command of the Penrose and from April to October of 1912, served on the Tahoma. His next assignment was to the Manning, from which he was assigned to duty on the Gresham in July, 1915. Transferred in May, 1917, he was placed on duty in New York, N.Y., where he became assistant to the recruiting officer. During this assignment he was detached for temporary duty with the Manhattan from November, 1918, to January, 1919.
In November, 1919, he was assigned to the cutter Manning, which he left in March, 1920, for assignment as Engineering Assistant to the Special Representative of the U.S. Shipping Board at Argentine and Uruguay. Returning to the Manning in April, 1922, he served aboard this ship until December of the next year when he was attached to the Gresham. In September, 1924, he began a period of duty with the Waylanda, stationed first at Base Three, Greenport, Long Island, N.Y., and later at Nantucket, Mass. During this assignment he was detached for three periods of temporary duty: on the staff of the Commander, Destroyer Force, New London, Conn., in April, 1927; as commanding officer of Section Base Four and Aide for the New London Patrol Area in June and July of 1927; and duty at the Navy Yard, Boston, Mass.
In September, 1927, he became engineer officer of the Modoc, and in January, 1929, was assigned to the Champlain. From November, 1929, to May, 1930, he was attached to the New York Division and then served in the office of the Engineer in Chief at Coast Guard Headquarters, Washington, D.C., until August of the following year. His next assignment concerned duty with the Commander of the Destroyer Force, New London, Conn.
In January, 1933, he reported for duty as representative of the Commander, New York Division, in connection with repair and upkeep of vessels of that division which were based at New London. In April, 1934, he was assigned to engineering duty on the staff of the Commander, New York Division, and the following June was designated Engineer of that division.
Retired from active service with the rank of rear admiral in July, 1942, he was ordered back to active duty the same month for assignment as Engineer Officer of the Third Naval District, New York City, and additional duty in connection with the procurement of officers for the Coast Guard Reserve. He became Procurement Officer of the Third Naval District in April, 1943.
After receiving a commission as an ensign (E) on June 10, 1902, he was promoted in rank as follows: lieutenant (jg) (E), February 21, 1906; lieutenant (E), May 2, 1912; lieutenant commander (E), January 12, 1923; commander (E), July 1, 1926; captain (E), April 23, 1930; and rear admiral, July 1, 1942. For service during the first World War, he received the Victory Medal.
Click here to see the original biographical sketch.