Rear Admiral Thomas Marcus Molloy, United States Coast guard (Retired), was born in Worcester, Mass., on June 4, 1874, the son of John and Mary Carey Molloy. He received his early education at Thomas Street School in that city, and was graduated from Worcester English High School in 1893. He next attended Worcester Polytechnic Institute, where he took a four-year course in civil engineering and received a B.S. degree in 1897. Appointed a cadet in the U.S. Coast Guard in August of that year, he received a commission as an ensign on August 17, 1899.
His first assignment was on the USS McLane, from which he was detached in December, 1901, for duty on the Forward. Transferred to the Perry in June, 1902, he next served on the Bear from April to June of 1904, and then on the McCulloch. During June and July of 1905 he was temporarily in command of the Manhattan following which he served on the Gresham until September of that year when he was assigned to the Mohawk.
From December, 1907, to June, 1908, he was attached to the Dexter as navigator. His next assignment was that of executive officer of the Algonquin, on which he served until May, 1910, when he was transferred to the same duty on the Morrill. Detached from the Morrill in April, 1912, he became executive officer of the Tahoma. Aboard this ship when it was wrecked and lost on an unchartered reef in September, 1914, during a patrol in Alaskan waters, he received a commendation for his skill and judgement in transporting 22 survivors in a surfboat to a group of island 90 miles away.
In November, 1914, he was assigned to the Androscoggin as executive officer and in September, 1917, was transferred to the command of the Rambler, engaged in transporting and escorting troops and supplies to ports in the European war zone. From August, 1918, to June, 1919, he was commanding officer of the Nokomis, on duty in the war zone, and from the time he left the Nokomis until October, 1919, was in command of the Henry R. Mallory, transporting troops back to the United States.
Transferred to shore duty after the war, he served as Assistant Inspector in Chicago, Ill., and in November, 1921, was assigned the additional duties of Captain of the Port of Chicago. In July, 1922, he returned to sea duty as commanding officer of the Tallapoosa, and in October, 1924, was once again assigned to duty ashore as commanding officer of Section Base 5, Boston, Mass. In May, 1925, he also was assigned the command of Section Base 3, at Greenport, R.I., and Section Base 4, at New London, Conn.
From February, 1927, to September, 1929, he was is command of the Tampa, and also served as commander of the International Ice Patrol in 1929. Upon leaving the Tampa he became president of the General Coast Guard Court in New York, N.Y., and served in this capacity until March, 1932, when he took command of the Cayuga. From March, 1933, to April, 1934, he was Patrol Commander of the Eastern Area, with headquarters in New York City, and then served as Aide to the Captain of the Port of New York until October, 1935.
His next assignment was that of Eastern Inspector at St. George, Staten Island, N.Y. Leaving this assignment in June, 1937, he stayed July of the following year as commander of the New York Division and Captain of the Port of New York. In July, 1937, he was designated as coordinator of law enforcement activities of the Treasury Department Agencies in the New York Division. These activities concerned the prevention and detection of liquor and narcotic smuggling.
On July 1, 1938, he retired from active service in the Coast Guard, with the rank of rear admiral on the retired list. Recalled to active duty in May, 1941, he reported to Coast Guard Headquarters for duty in the Office of the Commandant and additional duty as president of Coast Guard Welfare. He retired permanently in October, 1945 and died October 11,1945.
After receiving a commission as an ensign on August 17, 1899, he was promoted in rank as follows: lieutenant (j.g.), October 14, 1902; lieutenant, March 9, 1909; lieutenant commander, October 10, 1920; commander, July 1, 1926; captain, July 1, 1929; and rear admiral, July 1, 1938. For service during the first World War he received the Victory Medal with Escort Clasp, and the Navy Cross for distinguished service as commanding officer of the Rambler.
Rear Admiral Molloy married Caroline Emily A. at Florence, S.C., in June, 1909. They have two daughters, Marion Molloy Megaro (Mrs. Gandens Megaro), and Eleanora Molloy Prince (Mrs. J.S. PRince), and one sone, Lt. Robert Thomas Molloy, USCGR, on duty in the South Pacific.
Rear Admiral Molloy is a member of Tampa Post American Legion #719, New York Chapter of the Military Order of the World War, Coast Guard Alumni Association, U.S. Naval Institute, Naval Engineers Society, and Worcester Polytechnic Institute Alumni Association.