Chester Arthur Richmond, Jr. was born on February 22, 1917, at San Francisco, Cal. After graduating from Berkeley High School, Berkeley, Cal., in 1935, he served two years of enlistment in the Army.
Appointed a Cadet on August 13, 1937, he was graduated from the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, New London, Conn., with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering and with a commission of Ensign on May 19, 1941.
He served his first assignment as Communications Officer on board the troop transport USS Hunter Liggett (AP-14) throughout her outfitting and commissioning in New York as well as her training exercises off the coast of North Carolina until February 1942, during World War II. During the following nine months he served on board the USCGC Ingham on convoy escort duty between Boston and Ireland.
Assigned as a flight student in October 1942, he took his preliminary training at the Naval Reserve Aviation Base at Grosse Isle, Mich., and was graduated from Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Fla., with the designation of Coast Guard Aviator No. 146 on May 25, 1943. He then piloted aircraft on anti-submarine patrol and search and rescue out of Coast Guard Air Station, St. Petersburg, Fla., until March 1944. After next serving three months as Flight Instructor for Coast Guard student aviators at the Naval Air Station, Dallas, Texas, he piloted aircraft on patrols over the North Atlantic out of Coast Guard Air Station, Salem, Mass., from July 1944 to November 1945.
During the following post-war period he was assigned at the Coast Guard Air Detachment at Honolulu for a year and a half as patrol plane commander of logistics flight missions supporting Loran stations in the Pacific, including occupied Japanese areas.
After taking on officer’s course in Aircraft Maintenance at the U.S. Air Force Base, Chanute Field, Ill., from May to December of 1947, he reported for duty as Aviator and Engineering Officer at the Coast Guard Air Station, San Diego, Cal. Beginning in August 1950, he served for two years at the Coast guard Air Station, Elizabeth City, N.C., first as Executive Officer of the Aircraft Repair and Supply Center until August 1951, and then as Supervisor of the Aviation Machinist’s Mates and Aviation Electronics man’s Schools. Meanwhile, he earned the designation of Helicopter Pilot No. 145, on June 5, 1952.
While next stationed as Coast Guard Liaison Aeronautical Engineer at the Naval Air Test Center, Patuxent River, Md., from July 1952 to August 1954, he was graduated from Navy Test Pilot School (July 1953). During the next two years, he served first as Engineer Officer and then as Executive Officer at the Coast Guard Air Station, Port Angeles, Wash.
From August 1956 to August 1959, he served as Chief, Operations Branch, Aviation Division, at Coast Guard Headquarters, Washington, D.C. He next commanded the Coast Guard Air Detachment at Kodiak, Alaska, and acted as Coordinator of the Kodiak Search and Rescue Sector for three years. While there he earned the Distinguished Flying Cross for meritorious achievement as aircraft commander of a helicopter on April 13, 1961, that delivered a doctor and emergency supplies to St. George Island, Alaska, and subsequent air evacuations of two critically burned persons.
In September 1962, he returned to the Air Station at St. Petersburg, Fla., as Commanding Officer with the duty of Group Commander added in December 1964. In July 1965, he returned to Headquarters to serve as Chief, Search and Rescue Division.
By June 1968, he was stationed at Seattle, Wash., as Chief of Staff of the 13th Coast Guard District. By nomination of the President on January 16, 1969, and approval of the Senate, the then CAPT Richmond was appointed a flag officer to rank as permanent Rear Admiral from August 1, 1969.
Meanwhile, he reported to Headquarters in March 1969, for a third tour of duty here, this time in the flag rank post of Chief, Office of Research and Development. For superior performance of duties while in that post, RADM Richmond was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal in April 1973.
In June 1973, RADM Richmond returned to Seattle to become Commander, 13th Coast Guard District, his last tour of duty until his retirement on July 1, 1977, with 36 years of Coast Guard service.
RADM Richmond has the following World War II campaign service medals and ribbons: American Defense; American Area; European-African-Middle Eastern Area; Asiatic-Pacific Area; World War II Victory; Navy Occupation Service. He also has the Navy Expeditionary Medal, and the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal. Later awards include: Distinguished Flying Cross (1961); Meritorious service Medal (1973).
Following is a resume of RADM Richmond’s appointments in rank: Cadet, August 13, 1937; Ensign, May 19, 1941; Lieutenant (jg), July 27, 1942; Lieutenant, December 31, 1942; Lieut. Commander, July 20, 1945; Commander, September 1, 1954; Captain, February 1, 1962; Rear Admiral, August 1, 1969.
RADM Richmond’s wife is the former Barbara O. of New London, Conn., a graduate of Mitchell College, New London. They have seven children: Robert L., John M., James P., Patricia M., Kathleen A., Maureen B., and Thomas O’C.
RADM Richmond is the son of the late Mrs. And Mr. Chester A. Richmond who served as Master of Socony-Vacuum Oil Co. vessels for many years and later as Port Captain of New York.