Hyannis Rear Range Light, Barnstable, Massachusetts
HYANNIS (RANGE REAR) LIGHT
Location: HYANNIS HARBOR
Station Established: 1849
Year Current/Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1849
Foundation Materials: NATURAL/EMPLACED
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: OIL LAMP W/REFLECTOR 1849
* First light at this site was a privately built shack on the beach with a lamp in the window.
* 1848 – Congress approved $2,000 for the conical brick tower which went into service in 1849.
* Circa 1850/51 – An additional $800 was allocated for keeper’s dwelling, which attached to the lighthouse via a covered walkway.
* 1856 – 5th order lens installed.
* 1863 – New cast iron lantern installed.
* 1885 – Front range light added at Old Colony Railroad Wharf.
* 1929 – Lighthouse discontinued, lantern removed.
* 1987 – Private owners fabricated a new, larger lantern.
* Daniel Snow Hallett (1849-1851)
* James Bearse (1851-1853)
* Almoran Hallett (1853-1861)
* Franklin Baker (1861-1869)
* John Lothrop (1869-1878)
* Alonzo Lothrop (1878-1899)
* John Peak (1899-1915)
* Waldo Leighton (1915-1929)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.