Point Au Fer Reef Light, Eugene Island, Atchafalaya Bay, Louisiana
Built in 1916, replacing the Southwest Reef Light as the entrance light for the Atchafalaya River. Deactivated and replaced with a skeletal tower in 1975.
POINT AU FER REEF LIGHT
Location: On the east side of Eugene Island at Point au Fer Shoal Reef -- Atchafalaya Bay
Station Established: 1827
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1916
Foundation Materials: Pile with platform pile
Construction Materials: Wood
Tower Shape: Square with octagonal lantern room
Markings/Pattern: White with black tower
Characteristic: White flashes, 6 second intervals (circa 1965)
Height: 54 feet above water level
Relationship to Other Structure: Integral
Original Lens: 4th Order
Fog Signal: Diaphragm-type fog horn
- Work began in September, 1915 and was "practically completed in May 1916."
- A 1,000 pound fog bell was installed
- Cost was $39, 320.40 total out of an appropriation of $50,000
- First keeper was E. L. Rollingson; drowned on 8 August 1916; replaced by Acting Keeper Louis Baras, appointed on 1 October 1916.
- Light first lit on 10 May 1916.
- Keeper James M. Waits was appointed in January, 1918 and transferred on 23 October 1926.
- Keeper Waits was relieved by Peter Duay who was appointed on 3 November 1926 and remained at that post until October, 1942 when he was relieved by Godfrey C. Kiff on 21 October 1942. Keeper Kiff remained on duty through World War II.
- The lighthouse was deactivated in 1975. The structure was first offered to the South Lafourche Cultural and Historical Society, Inc., who turned it down. The Coast Guard then found "it most economical to effect demolition by burning." The structure was then purposely burnt down in September, 1976.