Sandy Neck Lighthouse, Sandy Neck, entrance to Barnstable Harbor, West Barnstable, Massachusetts
Originally built in 1826, current structure built in 1857, with updates to the structure made in the 1880s. Lighthouse deactivated in 1931 and replaced with a skeleton tower light which was deactivated in 1952.
SANDY NECK LIGHT
Location: CAPE COD
Station Established: 1827
Year Current/Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1857
Automated? YES 1931
Foundation Materials: SURFACE ROCK
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE TOWER W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL
* 1827 – Integral tower built with $3500 Congressional appropriation.
* 1857 – Lighthouse rebuilt as a separate tower.
* 1931 – Lighthouse disestablished and replaced by a skeletal tower.
* 1933 – Property sold into private ownership.
* 1952 – Skeletal tower discontinued.
* 2007 – Lantern room restored.
Lantern room restored.
* Joseph Nickerson (1826-1833)
* Henry Baxter (1833-1844)
* Thomas P. D. Baxter (1846-1862)
* Lucy Hinckley Baxter (1862-1867)
* Edward Gorham (1867-1875)
* Jacob S. Howes (1875-1880)
* Eunice Crowell Howes (1880-1886)
* Philip R. Smith (1886-1897)
* George A. Jamieson (1897-1908)
* James Jorgensen (1908-1909)
* Henry L. Pingree (1909-?)
* William L. Anderson (c. 1930)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.