San Luis Obispo Lighthouse, Avila Beach, San Luis Obispo County, California
Built in 1890.
SAN LUIS OBISPO (PORT HARFORD) LIGHT
Location: On Point San Luis, west side of the San Luis Obispo Bay, near Avila Beach
Station Established: 1890
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1890
Foundation Materials: Masonry
Construction Materials: Wood frame
Tower Shape: Octagonal lantern on square tower
Characteristic: Flashing white, 20s (3s fl)
Relationship to Other Structure: Attached
Original Lens: Fourth Order, Fresnel
Fog Signal: 10-inch steam whistle
- The lighthouse at San Luis Obispo was completed in 1890 and is a 40-foot tower attached to a Victorian style dwelling. The area was originally known as Port Harford.
- The area was very difficult to access by land. Supplies were by brought in by steamer.
- The Fresnel lens was replaced with a modern beacon in 1969.
- The light was automated in 1974. In 1976 the lens was moved to the San Luis Obispo County Historical Society.
- Restoration is under way by the Point San Luis Lighthouse Keepers with the hope of opening as a museum
The above was researched and drafted by Melissa Buckler, a Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society volunteer.