Stingray Point Light, mouth of the Rappahannock River, Chesapeake Bay, near Deltaville, Virginia
Screwpile style lighthouse built in 1858.
STINGRAY POINT LIGHT
Location: Entrance to the Rappahannock River, near Deltaville, Virginia
Station Established: 1858
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1858
Construction Materials: Wood
Tower Shape: Hexagonal Screw-Pile
Relationship to Other Structure: Integral
Original Lens: Sixth Order
Characteristic: Fixed Red
- The lighthouse at Stingray Point was built in 1858.
- It was deactivated in 1965 and dismantled shortly thereafter.
- Stingray Point was named by Captain John Smith after being stung by a stingray in the area.
- A replica of the lighthouse was built at the Stingray Harbor Marina in Deltaville, Virginia, 1.6 miles west of the original site.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society volunteer.