Red Fish Bar Cut Light (Redfish Bar Cut Lighthouse), Galveston Bay, Texas
Screwpile style lighthouse built in 1900, deactivated in 1936.
REDFISH BAR CUT LIGHT
Location: IN 2 FEET OF WATER, ON RED FISH BAR, OFF EDWARDS POINT, GALVESTON BAY, CLOSE TO THE EASTERLY SIDE OF THE DREDGED CUT THROUGH THE BAR
Station Established: 1900
Year First Lit: 1900
Tower Shape/Markings/Pattern: Brown, square, crew-pile foundation surmounted by a square white dwelling; lantern, black.
Original Lens: Fifth Order, Fresnel
Characteristic: Fixed white
Fog Horn: Bell struck by machinery every 30 seconds.
- In 1898 Congress authorized $8,000 to build a station to mark the dredged "cut" channel.
- Put into operation on 20 March 1900 to mark a channel dredged through Redfish Bar. A square iron-pile foundation, white dwelling with fog bell on the side facing the cut, on the gallery.
- The keeper in 1901 was George R. Smith.
- Hurricane in August, 1915 carried away the platform under the station, as were the chimney and much of the building's siding.
- 1932 Light List noted that the light was an occulting red fifth order, elevation 39, visibility seven miles.
- Light discontinued in 1936. Dwelling was replaced by a steel tower housing an automatic light, "occulting red fifth order acetylene on red skeleton tower on piles."