Class A (Cactus):
Class B (Mesquite):
Class C (Iris):
USCGC CAPE PROVIDENCE (WPB-95335)
203 Hulls, not named
1) Vigilant - Launched in March of 1791, Vigilant may have been the first cutter hull to enter the water. She was built at New York for service in New York waters. Her first master was Patrick Dennis. She was sold in November, 1798.
2) Active - Launched on 9 April 1791 at Baltimore, Maryland. She patrolled the waters of the Chesapeake under the command of Master Simon Gross. She was sold in 1800.
3) General Green - Launched on 7 July 1791 at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She was assigned to the Pennsylvania station under the command of Master James Montegomery. She was sold in December, 1797.
4) Massachusetts - Launched on 15 July 1791. She was built at Newburyport, Massachusetts. Her first master was John Foster Williams. She was sold on 9 October 1792.
5) Scammel - Launched on 24 August 1791. She was built at Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Her first master was Hopley Yeaton. She was sold on 16 August 1798.
6) Argus - Launched sometime in 1791. She was built at New London, Connecticut. Her first master was Jonathan Maltbie. She was sold in 1804.
7) Virginia - Launched sometime in 1791. She was built at Norfolk, Virginia. Her first master was Richard Taylor. She was sold in 1798.
8) Diligence - Launched sometime in June or July of 1792. She was built at Washington, North Carolina. Her first master was William Cook. She was sold in 1798..
9) South Carolina - Launched in 1792. She was built at Charleston, South Carolina for service in South Carolina and nearby waters. Her first master was Robert Cochrane. She was sold on 5 June 1798.
10) Eagle - Launched sometime in 1793. She was built in Savannah, Georgia for service in Georgia's waters. Her first master was John Howell. She was sold on 14 September 1799.
Emblem of the Revenue Cutter Service
Builder: American Pacific Whaling Company, Seattle, WA
Decommissioned: March 16, 1944
Length: 88 feet
Navigation draft: 11 feet 5 inches
Beam: 19 feet
Displacement: 59 tons
Shaft horsepower: 370 horsepower
Maximum speed: Unknown
Economical speed: Unknown
Endurance (@ 8 knots): Unknown
Complement: 10 person crew
USCGC 95003, formerly the fishing the whaling vessel Aberdeen, was one of several ships transferred under the Coast Guard’s authority during World War II. Technological advances of the time made whaling vessels like the Aberdeen obsolete, so many of them were under emergency acquisition. Upon receipt from emergency transfer, vessels were used for coastal patrols and minesweeping operations.
Within the first six months the United States became involved in World War II, German U-boats began taking a heavy toll on merchantmen close to the U.S. East Coast. The Coast Guard took large numbers of boats to patrol coastal waters. These vessels primary responsibilities included port security from enemy mines laid by U-boats, defense against enemy vessels, search and rescue operations, and coastal escort duties. These wood-hulled ships were ideal for mine sweeping duties because did not attract magnetic minds, and as patrol boats for their size.